I'm an only child.
Instead of posing with a sibling, I posed with stuffed animals.
I got to experience peace and quiet on a daily basis. I didn't have someone running in and messing with my stuff.
Did I want a brother or sister? Yes. I asked my parents several times for one. "Instead of toys for Christmas, can Santa bring a baby?"
But it wasn't to be. And honestly, I'm sort of glad. And here's why.
1. You learn independence. I didn't always have someone to play with. Sure my parents would play the occasional game, but it was mostly me. I learned that it was okay to be alone. I actually began to crave it. Even now if I don't get my alone time, I tend to get moody. I also didn't completely lose it whenever my husband had to deploy. I was okay with being on my own at night because I had done it as an only child.
2. You figure out how to entertain yourself. If Mom and Dad are busy, it's up to you to figure out some entertainment. You can't grab a sibling and start a game. I came up with my own ideas.
3. Your imagination is generally spectacular. Since you have to entertain yourself, your mind goes wild. It's probably why I'm a writer.
4. You'll probably be a voracious reader. I loved to go into another world. Become friends with characters. I might have been an only child, but when I read books like Ten Kids, No Pets, I was surrounded by siblings.
5. You don't think the world revolves around you. I was watching Counting On about the Duggar family and Jill was telling her son that he needed a sibling "so he didn't think the world revolved around him." Newsflash Jill: I never thought this. Yes, I knew I was important and that my parents loved me, but I didn't get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I was grounded a lot growing up for my sassy behavior.
If you're an Only Child, welcome to the fabulous club. If your child is an Only Child, don't worry, they'll be fine. I debated for the longest time if I was going to have another kid: in the end I went for it because I really wanted a little girl. And while sometimes I do wish I had a sibling to talk to, I know being an Only Child benefited me in the end.
So are you an Only Child?