It's never fun when your spouse has to deploy. I try to do things to keep my mind off the fact that he's gone. It helps.
1. Rearrange stuff. This is probably confusing to Tom when he returns. He's all, "Did you hang up new stuff?" or, "What happened to my things?"
2. Watch a lot of reality TV. Tom isn't a fan of reality TV. He goes on a rant on how it's not reality at all. He freaks out over the appearance of some women. "Who would puff their lips up like that? Yuck. Why is her face so tight? Gross." It makes it hard to concentrate on why one housewife is screaming at another.
3. Talk to him daily. Or try to. Sometimes he's busy. He's not there on vacation, after all. We try to always touch base if possible.
4. Have dance sessions. It helps to blast music. Sometimes I'll put "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from The Rolling Stones when Natalie is being obstinate. This insults her. This song should also be blasted around Kanye West.
5. Read. Books make me incredibly happy.
6. Fart freely. I mean, I fart in front of my husband, but I try not to go too crazy. I don't want to totally freak him out.
7. Write. I love to write stories. In fact, I self-published The Swimmer's Assistant. I'm working on finding an agent for my other books. If it doesn't work out, I'll self-publish those too.
These are just some of the things that help keep me sane until he comes home again.
If your other half has gone away before, what do you do to help keep your spirits up?