Here are some things about her.
1. She has an amazing imagination. Sometimes she gets her brother to play along.
2. She still sits on my lap. She'll always be welcome on my lap. I don't care if she's 20 or 55. My lap is hers, always.
3. She wears her costumes out to play. Some kids tell her it's "babyish" but I'm glad she ignores them. Will she always ignore them? I don't know.
4. She listens to a lot of music that makes my ears hurt. (Ariana Grande, for one.)
5. She has a "boyfriend," but it's innocent. They write each other little notes and chase each other at recess. He gave her this for Valentine's Day:
6. Her current favorite toys are Shopkins, Beanie Boos, Littlest Pet Shop, My Little Pony, and American Girl stuff. She's also still into stuffed animals. She has sooo many stuffed animals.
7. She thinks she needs a bra. (She doesn't.)
8. She loves to climb things. I worry one day she's going to fall and break something. Maybe she will. But I imagine she won't regret it. I can picture her saying, "But I made it to the top! That was my goal!"
9. She still needs me. She's able to do a lot on her own now, but she still wants me around. She listens to my advice--she doesn't always take it, but it warms my heart that she asks me for it. I hope she always does. I know she might start to pull away from me--it's normal, it happens--but I also hope she remembers that I'm here for her. Through mean girl episodes, through period issues, through boy troubles...
I'm here, precious girl. I'm here.