We're PCSing to Lackland AFB in Texas in early May. That's military speak for "we're moving." (PCS, by the way, stands for permanent change of station.)
We live in base housing. Since we live in base housing, we cannot leave this base until we pass the inspection. It's basically what people go through when they leave an apartment or a house they're renting.
Before the final inspection, there's a pre-inspection. This is when base housing workers go through your house and let you know what you need to clean and pay for. You can opt to use their cleaning service, but you still have things you are responsible for.
It's stressful, I won't lie. When you have kids and pets, you know there are damages. We've gone through three pre-inspections so far. This will be the fourth.
Here are thoughts that are always going through my head during a pre-inspection.
1. You want me to pay how much for your cleaning service? (It's about $300.)
2. If I stand against the stain on the wall that I can't get out, will they charge me for it if they can't see it?
3. When we get into our bedroom: holy crap, I didn't put the KY gel away. How mortifying.
4. After being handed the packet of things we still need to clean even if we pay them to clean: why am I paying you guys so much to clean and I still have to clean?
5. Why are you saying you'll charge us for carpet damage when you'll probably be ripping it all out anyway after we move? (This happened when Natalie tried to clean out a stain she made with bleach. Sighs.)
6. That stain was already there when we moved in. (Nice try. When you move in, base housing workers walk with you through the house and mark down any issues.)
7. If you used better materials when building the houses, maybe so many things wouldn't be falling apart.
8. Yes, I do have a lot of things. I know the garage is scary but the boxes are all filled with MEMORIES.
9. I know I have weeds in the front yard. I hate to garden. Why must you put gardens in front of the homes? I kill plants. I don't mean to, but it happens. Yes, I'll pull out all the weeds and make the garden look "decent." (Even though they usually have yard people come in no matter what..) I'm not sure what's going on with the rose bush.
Have you had to go through an inspection before?