I've been in a hotel for two weeks now. We're waiting to get our house. (We should close June 3rd.) While I've been in a hotel, I've experienced all sorts of things. Here are some ways you can stay in a hotel and not be an asshole. Your fellow hotel guests will appreciate it:
1. Don't slam doors. Hotel doors are heavy. Close them yourself. If you walk in and let it close on its own, it'll slam and cause other rooms to shake.
2. Don't be noisy in the halls when it's early or late. Tell your kid to hush. You might have to be up at 6 AM but I trained my kids to sleep in, so tell Junior to whisper. Also, it's not cute to let Junior run down the halls at 6 AM. Other people can hear.
3. Don't take all the eggs. No, seriously. Most hotels will have a complimentary breakfast. A hotel worker brought out a bunch of new eggs and this man piled them all onto his plate. Is he training for a marathon? Trying to be the new Rocky? What?
4. Don't hold the elevator for over five minutes. If your party isn't ready, sorry. Other people need the elevator too.
5. Don't have loud conversations in the halls. Unless it's juicy. Then I can listen in. But if you're just discussing where to go to lunch, go to your room. Don't be all, "DO YOU WANT MEXICAN? TEXAS ROADHOUSE? WHAT? HUH?"
6. Don't stomp around your room. The people below you can hear. There's been times when I wanted to grab a broom and bang it on the ceiling like that one guy on Friends.
7. If you're in a pet-friendly hotel, don't let Fido constantly bark. I'm in a pet-friendly hotel and sometimes I hear dogs in the dead of night. Does Fido see a ghost? Should I be afraid?
What would you add to this list? Have you ever been a hotel for an extended period of time?