Sunday, June 5, 2016
House Buying Drama During PCS Season
We finally have our house!
But we had some drama. Everything had been going pretty smoothly. We were prepared to close on Friday, June 3rd.
The sellers told their realtor to tell ours that no, they wanted to close Monday, June 6th.
On Wednesday. TWO days before we were set to close.
Now, technically the sellers did nothing wrong. The contract did state that closing was Monday, June 6th only to legally give them enough days. But all along they kept saying it was perfectly fine to close Friday, June 3rd.
It seems our sellers dragged their feet on packing. They needed more time. They discovered they really needed more time when we tried to set up the final walk through Wednesday night. Apparently they panicked because they just weren't ready.
First of all, don't keep saying we can close one day if you aren't 100%. It's not cool. Second, when we're told that everything was great for Friday, Tom set up our HHGs (household goods) to be delivered on Monday morning. But we can't technically do that, because the sellers aren't signing until Monday at noon.
So our realtor informs their realtor that we have the movers coming, and their realtor kept saying it was in their right to wait until Monday since it's in the contract...blah, blah, blah. Again, I understand. But again, don't keep telling us closing is good to go on Friday until the last minute. Our realtor and theirs went back and forth and their realtor said fine, WE can close on Friday. We can sign all the paperwork, but we can't go to the house over the weekend because her clients still need time to pack.
We agreed. Whatever.
But then we were told, oops, we can't have the house until THEY sign. Which means the moving company can't come. I had to call the moving company to see if they could come Tuesday. The guy sort of chuckled and went, "We can't come out again until the 17th. Sorry."
I mean, it IS PCS season. I don't blame him.
So we told our realtor this and he said he was not having us sit in an empty house for that long. He went to call their realtor again.
It went back and forth for a while.
But then we were told we COULD have the movers show up at 8.
It was stressful. I did have some meltdowns that made my husband go:
But it was scary not knowing what was going to happen. Plus the moving company said if we had to cancel on Friday, we'd be charged a fee for a last minute cancellation. I didn't want to pay a fee because other people decided to change the date two days before.
It's okay though. It worked out so I can relax.
Have you ever dealt with last minute house buying drama?