I read an article about a dude that wants people to boycott the new Beauty and the Beast movie. Why? Because LeFou is gay. I was like,
I mean, in the cartoon version. LeFou seemed pretty infatuated with Gaston. So I wasn't surprised to hear that he was gay and it didn't bother me in the least. Love is love in this home. I completely get that people have their own religious beliefs--it's their right--but it's also my right to think it's ridiculous. I'm raising my kids to accept other people. Gay, straight, bi...people are people.
Here's why we could never boycott Beauty and the Beast:
1. Belle loves books. I love books. I have books all over the house to the point where my husband is all, "Did you buy another book? I thought you said you weren't buying anymore books!" Some women have a shoe buying problem. I have a book buying problem.
2. I love the plot! Cranky hairy beast-dude is all, "Woe is me, no one will love my hairy self," and then here comes accepting Belle. Sort of like how I'm raising my children to be accepting.
3. The songs are amazing. I'm going to pretend Ariana Grande isn't singing the iconic Beauty and the Beast song. She's not my taste. At all. I'll just listen to the Mrs. Potts version. I used to listen to the soundtrack over and over as a kid. I was terribly off key, but I'd still be like, "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere...I want it more than I can tell....and for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they have planned..." My friends would be like, "Please stop singing! Our ears!" Ironically my kids tell me the same thing.
4. I love that the dishes sing. I wish my dishes would sing. And clean themselves.
5. Belle is such an amazing character. Not only does she love books, she's genuinely kind. She inspired Enchanted Tales with Belle at Disney World, and was so sweet to my daughter, who was playing the part of her Daddy Maurice.
5. The ending still excites me even though I know what will happen. I tear up. Each and every time.
We are absolutely excited to see this movie and would never think to boycott it over the fact that a man has a crush on another man. It's life. It happens. Like Belle was to the Beast, we need to be accepting.
Will you be watching Beauty and the Beast?